Friday, October 15, 2010

Harvest

It is harvest time in Paul, Idaho. There is an air of excitement around town. This is the season when the farmers are able to reap the benefits for the seeds they sowed in the spring and the hard work of the summer. Scott is participating in the sugar beet harvest this year. He's a real trooper, and I'm proud of him for being willing to work hard for his little ladies.

The other thing we are reaping are the benefits from the good friendships my in-laws have sowed for so many years. We've been able to pick up potatoes left in the ground after harvest in a friend's field. We've also picked corn, tomatoes, italian prune plums, pears, peppers, onions, and peaches. It was all given to us by friends. Some of it is being stored in the garage, some has been frozen, some canned, some dried, and some eaten. I'm so exited to be able to eat all of this fresh produce this winter. We've already enjoyed peach cobbler, plum pie, fresh marinara sauce, and stuffed peppers. Lets not forget the potatoes. They're pretty much a staple of life here in the winter. We've tried potato leek soup, baked potatoes with bbq shredded chicken, au gratin potatoes, and potato pizza. How do you like your potatoes? I need some good ideas. We've got 9 boxes to go through.

I think this season is full of rich symbolism. We don't get something for nothing in life. I've been thinking a lot about the "seeds" I've been sowing, and hope they are good seeds. I know that with hard work and time I will reap the blessings of an abundant life.

“Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap” (Gal. 6:7)

0 comments: