For this week's chili challenge, I wanted to make a simple, classic chili. There are some who would argue that "classic" chili doesn't have any beans in it, so I guess this is MY idea of a classic chili. I pulled this recipe from my trusty Betty Crocker's Cookbook - Bridal Edition, from which I started to learn how to cook (and burned many things along the way). It's nice and tomatoey. The only thing I didn't like is that it didn't make enough for leftovers, and we like leftovers for lunch. Maybe we just eat a lot, but I'm going to make a double batch next time.
Chili
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can kidney or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1. Cook beef, onion, and garlic in 3-quart saucepan over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown, drain.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients, except beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in beans. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, sirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
1 comments:
Mmmmm....that sounds like a nice simple chili. I prefer chili with beans, too.
Post a Comment